AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps VISTA members serve for a variety of reasons, from wanting to make the world a better place to discovering a life-changing adventure. Service members gain the kind of real-world experience they can’t find in a typical entry-level job. Members apply their skills and knowledge to serious social problems and discover previously untapped strengths. During your term of service you will be doing everything you can to create and expand programs that ultimately bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Benefits of Service
FULL-TIME Year Long Member Other Benefits:
- A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award $6,095 that can be used to pay college loans or for future education. VISTA Members Only: May opted in lieu of Ed Award to receive an end-of-service stipend of $1,500. An individual may not receive more than the total value of two full time education awards.
- Many colleges may match the Education Award up to $1,000
- Relocation assistance
- Modest living stipend
- 10 personal days and 10 sick days
- Optional Healthcare benefits while in service
- Optional Childcare assistance while in service
- Pre-and post-service training
- In-service training and events for personal and professional growth
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job (VISTA only)
PART-TIME College Student Member Benefits:
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.