2020 Winners Announced!
Each year Montana Campus Compact recognizes one student-athlete from each MTCC Affiliate Campus across the state who have dedicated their efforts to serving the community while also pursuing their college degrees and certificates while participating in college sports. We are excited to Announce the Following MAIS Award winners for 2020:
- Megan Delaney, Montana Tech Women’s Basketball
Meg is the president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at Tech and she is the Frontier Conference Association of Student-Athletes representative. Meg is deeply involved with the Tech Way program which she co-created with her fellow peers. Tech Way bridges a connection between Montana Tech student-athletes and the kids who aspire to be just like them.
- Maddie Geritz, Carroll College Women’s Basketball
Maddie’s volunteer activities include working with one-on-one special needs’ kids, the Special Olympics’ basketball team, Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids’ Sake and Chili Cookoff, National Walk to School Day, Dr. Seuss Read to Achieve, the Humane Society, as well as public speaking engagements about being a Champion of Character.
- Garrett Graves, University of Montana Football
Garrett spends time with after school programs mentoring elementary students. Some of his other service activities include MLK Read for Peace, being a reading/discussion leader for St. Ignatius High School One Book One Community program, feeding families at a local church, gathering firewood for families in need, raking leaves for those needing assistance, helping fellow students move into the dorms, assisting at youth soccer camps, and enrolling in the bone marrow registry.
- Kelly Hooper, Montana State University Women’s Golf
Kelly’s volunteer activities are primarily with middle school girls through Young Life of Bozeman where she volunteers several hours weekly as well as with the Young Life Summer Camps during summer breaks.
- Carson Houser, Miles Community College Rodeo Team Captain
Carson’s volunteer activities include Domestic Violence Education, the Halloween Carnival for Kids, Livestock judging, and being a leader for the Ag Advancement Center.
- Mesa King, UM Western Women’s Basketball
Mesa’s service activities include being the ASA President (Association of Student Athletes), participating in Champions of Character Assemblies, and volunteering for the Bannack State Park clean up.
- Michael Main, Fort Peck Community College Basketball
Michael is a student representative on the FPCC Student Senate. He also volunteers as a basketball coach and mentor to local Poplar youth.
- Morgan Mason, MSU Northern Women’s Basketball
Morgan participates in many community service activities including the ASMSUN Food Drive, Walleye’s Unlimited Banquet, NLASF Spring Fling and Pheasant Hunt, Havre Festival Days Activities, Havre Pride Day, St. Jude’s Pumpkin Patch, MSUN Campus Cleanup, Highland Park School, and Camp Kiwanis. She is also a Student Senator.
- Haley Olson, Dawson Community College Women’s Basketball
Haley’s volunteer activities include Makoshika Wellness Winter Gala Night of Elegance in partnership with Domestic Violence, the Harvest Festival, Math Counts, the Food Bank, the national Play 4Kay Breast Cancer Awareness campaign, and making crafts with community youth.
- Shannon Reny, MSU Billings Women’s Basketball Team Captain
Her volunteer activities include being the SAAC President (Student Athlete Advisory Committee), and volunteering with Caring Tree, the Special Olympics and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Jacob Steinle, Flathead Valley Community College Logger Sports
His service includes volunteering with the Church at Creston, Phi Theta Kappa, Flathead Food Bank, Orphans Lifeline, and Immanuel Lutheran Assisted Living Home.
Do you know a Montana college student who is an active volunteer in their community? Contact Josh Vanek, 406-243-5135, firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know and we will do our best to recognize them!
# # #
Following are the Montana Athletes in Service Awards for 2019.
- Nadia Augustiro, Sophomore, Miles Community College, Sport: Rodeo
- Teigen Avery, Senior, University of Montana, Sport: Golf
- Cal Christian, Sophomore, Fort Peck Community College, Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Weight Lifting
- April Davis, Sophomore, Dawson Community College, Sport: Softball
- Tanner Haverfield, Sophomore, UM Western, Sport: Basketball
- Preston Jeschke, Junior, Flathead Valley Community College, Sport: Logger Sports
- Gillian Maness, Senior, Sport: MSU Cross Country, Track & Field
- Emerson McLaughlin, Senior, University of Providenc, Sport: Soccer
- Kyle McLaughlin, Senior, MSU Billings, Sport: Track & Field
- Max Melfi, Junior, Rocky Mountain College, Sport: Football
- Shania Neubauer, Junior, MSU Northern, Sport: Volleyball
- Jenna Starke, Senior, Carroll College, Sport: Volleyball
- Zach Torgerson, Sophomore, Montana Tech, Sport: Football
- Charnea Two Bulls, Sport: Little Big Horn College, Sport: Basketball
# # #
Following are the 2018 Montana Athletes in Service Award Winners
- Abbie Lohoff, MSU Billings
- Alexis Begger, Dawson Community College
- Carrie Cota, Rocky Mountain College
- Charnea Two-Bulls, Little Bighorn College
- Cierra Lamey, UM Western
- Darby Henthorn, University of Montana
- Defender Walking Eagle, Fort Peck Community College
- Jim Vincent, Flathead Valley Community College
- Jessica Curl, MSU Northern
- Levi Dawes, Montana Tech
- Luke Middelstadt, Montana State University
- Malena Lennon, University of Providence
- Hannah Dean, Carroll College
- Will Riley, Miles Community College